20 January 2005

the root of my uncertainty

As I've been roasting away my winter veggies, I realized that there is one in the mix that I am having for the first time: the rutabaga. Realizing I do not know how long said root should roast, I tried consulting the world famous researcher, Google. What it returned to me was more than I could hope for. Did anyone know that there is an organization called The Advanced Rutabaga Studies Institute (see here)? I wonder if they offer post-docs? Maybe in the literature and rhetoric of the rutabaga, the economics and geography of rutabagas, or trends in rutabagativity? There truly is a niche for everything.

5 comments:

jo(e) said...

Hey, I noticed that you have a site meter!

It's fun, I think to see how many people come to read posts. Traffic is slow today, though, on account of the inauguration. The politcal blogs are getting all the hits.

Michael LeVan said...

That's thanks to you, jo(e)--allowing me to realize the full potential of my inner neurotic.

I'd have more of an occassional political angle on my blog if I had less of the ADD--or what's that old-timey ailment? Exhaustion? I will try to give an analysis of the inaugural address, which I still haven't seen yet today. The huge class I teach is Persuasion, so I have to be on top of current events and popular culture to teach it (effectively). I was nearly pummelled to death by the rhetoric of the election, and have been slowly recovering. My recovery is due, in part, to following what a friend calls a "news diet."

Cheeky Prof said...

LOL We used to eat rutabaga in my family quite often and it was a staple at every holiday meal (along with the mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.). It wasn't until I got older that I realized how many people never had rutabaga and was so surprised! I love all the winter/root veggies. (And now that my appetite is back, your roasted veggies sound absolutely delicious!)

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Did you like the rutabaga? I had it fairly often at a step-relative's house as a kid, and then not for years, but rediscovered it this year. I'm liking it. Not sure, though, about studying it.

Michael LeVan said...

I thought it was good. I was surprised that it was sort of orange, and a little disappointed that it seemed to need more cooking time than anything else that i have ever cooked (I was just roasting it in chunks).