Here's the blogging related one for me. It's luckybuzz's photo ID:
I know now that this is a cut-open pomegranate. But the first time I saw this picture on someone's comments, here's what I saw: a grotesque, festering corpse face. I know, ewww. But that's what I saw. See if you can do it, too. The little stem thing; that looks like a tuft of hair. That dark patch behind the fruit: more hair. The skin of the fruit looks like a discolored forehead. The rest of the fruit? Well that looked like a bloody missing part of a face. I mean, ewww, what the hell is wrong with me?

8 comments:
I have one! I have one!
"Tape, these broken wings and learn to fly away..."
actually... with that picture? I didn't know what it was at first, either, and I thought things along the lines of what you thought.
Right on B*--my sister in sick perception.
Lil' rumpus, we had a story about misheard lyrics in the local paper recently. My favorite one was "Hold me closer, Tony Danza" followed by the Rolling Stones classic "I won't be your pizza burger." Apparently the misheard lyric is called a "mondegreen," coined itself from a misheard lyric ("Lady Mondegreen" instead of "laid him on the green," which came from an old folk song).
I'm guessing there's also a technical term in linguistics or psychology for it, too.
Yikes - that was the first thing I saw, too. Give me my card to the morbid club.
"Cheadle eye," though, not so much.
Geez louise. Way to make a girl change her photo pretty damn quick.
Nah, you're not the only one who thought that. It took me awhile to figure out what it was also. Upon first glance, it did look a bit morbid.
luckybuzz, so sorry so many of us are sickos. I only meant to give an example of the "gravity of perception."I figured everyone would think I was a weirdo.
Hey, this is the blog-crowd I hang with. I expect sickos. :)
Seriously, though--pomegranates are a weird thing. I love them, but I find that lots of people are grossed out by them even in real life. Hopefully my new glass-of-blood pic will work better.
Post a Comment