28 March 2006

guns don't kill blogs, bullets kill blogs

Random sortie of lame bullets:

• Over the weekend I was riding my bike through the city and ended up right in the middle of an attack by a large hawk on a cat. It was very strange to see this in the middle of a city. The cat got away without harm, escaping to a drain tunnel. I think my sudden appearance disrupted the attack. The person I was riding with said that we just saved the cat's life. I replied that maybe we just starved a big bird.

• What the iPod shuffled as a playlist while I just washed the dishes a few minutes ago:

1. Fruit Bats, The Wind that Blew my Heart Away
2. Rolling Stones, Wild Horses
3. Hank Williams, Long Gone Lonesome Blues
4. Wilco, I Must Be High
5. Old 97's, St. Ignatius
6. Destroyer, Beggars Might Ride
7. Lyle Lovett, This Old Porch
8. LCD Soundsystem, Disco Infiltrator
9. David Cross, a comedy routine about The Simple Life, Terrorism, and Freedom
10. Johnny Cash, I'm So Lonesome I could Cry

• Why do we have to always turn in all of those annual reports and self-reflective apologies about our student evals and publishing records right in the heart of the Spring semester?

• My chair did not seem amused when I pointed out that I taught more students this school year than all five full professors combined. I was just trying to make the case that I'm worth a couple thousand extra dollars. Collectively, those professors make about 12 times my salary. Throw me a bone.

• I almost never go shopping, but I needed new shoes. I went to the shoe store and came back with four pairs: one for exercise, one for hiking, one for hanging out, and one pair of sandals.

• Even though many of my students aren't doing well in my classes, they don't seem to be blaming me for their bad marks.

7 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

OK, not related to the post but I seem to recall you don't check your bloggy email often so I'm telling you here that I emailed you :)

RageyOne said...

New shoes! Lovely!

Unknown said...

Did you get the extra money? Cause that's a good argument. I might have to try something similar. Something like those old army commercials. I get more done before 9 a.m. than all my colleagues combined.

Frank said...

That first bullet is sooooo something I would think! "The poor hawk! He'll starve!" But if he had gotten the cat, I'd be all, "The poor cat! What if it's a girl and she has kittens and they're now going to perish without their mother!"

Yes, I have problems...

Michael LeVan said...

Laura, I haven't gotten a response to my counter offer yet. Frank, glad to see you are such an optimist.

Anonymous said...

I heart the fruit bats.

Anilkumar said...

If you ever feel like shopping for beauty and fragrance products, then click on
http://beautyfrag.blogspot.com

I have some great discount coupons for you which can be redeemed online.