23 October 2006

it's the eyes

Thanks for all the kind words. This skin cancer thing is a strange experience. On the one hand, there's really no such thing as good cancer, and I was certainly a little freaked out to get a piece of registered mail telling me I have it. On the other hand, most people talk like non-melanoma skin cancer is no big deal. They chop it out and you get a quarterly skin exam. Just par tof "getting older."

But, I'm still concerned. Because I'm under 40. Because I'm skin type III (rarely burns--I never had a sunburn until I was in my 20s). Because I have dark hair. But I don't have brown eyes, which puts me in a risk category. I'm not sure my eyes are blue or grey or some kind of off-green:

Regardless, they are a marker for at-risk for skin cancer.

But I'm surprised because the bump that turned out to be cancer was seen as nothing to worry about. My massage therapist (trained to spot questionable marks) said it looked too symetrical to be a concern. Even the chief of dermatological surgery said it didn't look like anything to be concerned with. He still chopped it off and biopsied it (which was sooooo gross because I could HEAR it being sliced off--I nearly hurled). And now I'm freaked because I know there is cancer in me and I have to wait five weeks for it to be taken out.

7 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Sympathy from another person with indeterminate non-brown eye color. I'm paranoid about pretty much every bump and freckle.

Our thoughts are with you while you wait for the removal.

jo(e) said...

You know, I read about the skin cancer in your last post, and I didn't even catch on that it might be something you would be worried about. I come from a family of people with Irish skin who spend lots of time outdoors, and pretty much everyone in the family has had skin cancer lesions removed. It's been my experience that as long as you don't hear the word "melanoma," everything will be fine. (My husband did have a mole diagnosed as melanoma eight years ago, and they took a huge chunk out of his back, leaving a seven-inch scar, but he too is fine.)

It sucks that you have to wait five weeks. I always prefer to get it over with immediately. I've watched as the doctor slices lesions off -- and you are right, it's weird. My mother always has hers done by a plastic surgeon because he is good at removing stuff on the face without leaving scars.

Anyhow, this rambling comment was me offering sympathy and hope that all will be fine.

Anonymous said...

hey again. just wanted to add a comment to this post as well. i'm hoping that you make it through your waiting period as best as possible. perhaps we (me, fritter and cookie) can add elements of complete and idiotic distraction for you over the weeks to come. thinking of you, and sending healing thoughts.

Musey_Me said...

Here's hoping the next 5 weeks ZING by and that the removal is no big.

susan said...

Oh, so sorry you have to wait so long. And sorry you have to have it cut out at all, even before being sorry about the wait.

My family must have skin like jo(e)'s: lots of elderly relatives have had many a squamous or basal carcinoma removed. but still, it's no fun. I'll be thinking of you.

Mel said...

I'm just catching up on blogreading -- much sympathy to you. And my only bit of advice is that even local anesthetic can be really taxing to your system. If you can get someone to go with you/drive you home, it's a good idea, because you don't know how you'll react. Make sure you have no plans except dog-cuddling and dvd-watching for afterwards.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I'm sorry I haven't commented about this. It all sounds stressful, and I hope you will be okay, but what I really wanted to say is... COOL EYE PHOTO!