Several people among our academic blogging group has expressed frustration at the gibberish shorthand of text messaging that has increasingly overtaken student emails that seemingly shoul dbe more formal. So, to extend the discussion, I submit the following email that I received today 2.5 hours after my final exam ended. It was sent, of course, by someone in the class who failed to show up.
Quoting a student who I think is in a position where formality is paramount:
"hello.
im sry to announce but i just realized this mornign that my early morning exam overlapped with yours, and i thought i would finish early and then come to take yours, but i didnt, and i didnt know wat to do, then i had to turn around and have an exam from 1-3 so i couldnt notify anyone. is there any way possible for me to make up this exam?? thank you so much for understanding."
I would like to add that the final exams scheduled at my time slot were only available for courses that met at 11:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So, the only way I can see that there was a conflict is if the student was taking two courses that were scheduled at the same time (barring, of course, a teacher who decided to make up his or her own exam schedule).
If you don't have the time or energy to actually spell out full words (I will and always do forgive the occassional typo),. it becomes very hard to take you seriously. Sry dude, you need a bttr stry.
03 May 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think I've been misreading "Thank you for understanding" all this time. I always took it to mean that they assumed I understood their reasons and situation (I don't, most often). Now I think they mean "thank you for making the considerable effort to decipher my message."
Rhonda: I have been wondering about that for years! Now, that phrase suddenly makes sense to me!
And thank YOU all for understanding.
Post a Comment