15 July 2005

nerdy feminist sex workers

Here's an intreresting article from indymedia about rich college students who are part-time sex workers ("hobby whores"). The rub (no pun intended) is that they pimp themselves over craigslist. One of the women in the story is a urine fetish specialist.

Here are some key moments in the story:

"They began with lower-caliber jobs like massage and run-of-the-mill cleaning. They soon realized that they could get away with quicker jobs if they only eroded their boundaries. 'It takes two seconds to pee on someone, and three more seconds to get their money and leave,' said Phoebe, the hardest part is pretending its normal for me to do it."

"Like 70% of the workers on the report, the girls want to abandon the business eventually for legitimate career plans. In the meantime their biggest fear is neither rape nor the police, but their parents. 'I dont care who knows it. In fact I kind of like talking about it,' said Phoebe,' 'But if my parents find out Im fucked."

6 comments:

jo(e) said...

Sure, I know of students who do this. I would hardly call them feminist though.

Michael LeVan said...

I wouldn't call them feminists either; I just thought it was funny that the reporter called them that (and how quoting it made for a provocative title).

Adam said...

arent we all a whore on the inside though

Frank said...

Interesting that they only look at female prostitution. There are lots of gay male prostitution to pay for college going on.

Michael LeVan said...

Good point, frank. I guess that the tone of the story is basically one of disinterest mixed with mild amusement (both for the rich girls making a quick and easy buck, and the reporter). The story doesn;t even acknowledge that there could be male sex workers (gay or otherwise), let alone smart college student male sex workers.

Sfrajett said...

Maybe "feminist" not only gives good headline, but also emphasizes the cutesy harmlessness of what they're doing by emphasizing (like "alternative career" possibilities) that they distance themselves from their sex work. 'Cause everybody knows, it's cute until somebody realizes that they'll make better, easier money as a prostitute than they will in most office jobs . . .