12 June 2005

sunday anhinga blogging





Our street is a circle that runs around a pond that used to be used to water cattle on the way to the port before the neighborhood was built in the 1920s. Now, the pond attracts a lot of bird life.

7 comments:

Scrivener said...

I used to get so excited seeing the annhingas all the time when I was a kid. Such cool birds.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I've never heard of these birds.

Frank said...

Me neither, brightstar. They certainly LOOK cool, however!

Michael LeVan said...

I think that some people call them a snakebird. They are sort of similar in appearance to the cormorant. Here's some more vital statistics.

jo(e) said...

I've never seen one in real life either: I suspect I am way too far north. Cool photos!

iBeth said...

I *love* anhingas! I love seeing them dry their wings on the ends of boat docks, tree stumps, whatever. We get a few in our retention pond. Mostly we see herons and egrets tho.

Michael LeVan said...

iBeth, you must live in the South. Our pond has a regular group of ibises, a bunch of common moorhens, grebes, several kinds of herons and egrets, and an occasional sandpiper or roseate spoonbill.

1B*, jo(e), and frank: they have to dry their wings like that since they don't have waxy, oily feathers like other birds.