On the one hand there is me and my empathy and my strong desire for everyone to acheive. On the other seems to be the integrity of education and fairness and the belief that people need to learn to meet the challenges that face them. On the one hand is the feeling that everything I do is really just futile anyway. On the other is the thought that the future of society is at stake.
Dear Dr. M(mmm),
I know probably by now many students have emailed you or talked with you about their grades. Yes I am here to do the same, sorry to bother you but I am really concerned about my grade. Its to the point where if I dont get a C in your class my whole summer and fall is ruined. I based all of my class and school year plans for the summer and the next school year thinking I was going to be able to pass your class. Unfortunately I checked my grade and it wasnt what I thought is was going to be. I began to really study for this test on last saturday staying up until 3 and 4 o' clock in the morning. I had alot of confidence in this test and I thought I would have done pretty good, but I guess not. I am telling you this to let you know I am not a lazy student and I am desperate and will do anything to get that 8 extra points [actually, percentage points] I need to get a C in your class. I had already registered for my summer and fall classes. I now have to reschedule everything including my jobs because I now have to see if I can get into your class for the summer. Please do not think I am trying to blame anything on you because I'm not I just want you to know that I tried and studied my hardest for your test and at this point its out of my hands. Well I am basically writing you to ask for your consideration and sympathy. I will do anything just to raise my grade to a C. Please DR. M(mmm) I'm on my hands and knees begging you. I am a student athlete. In their system they dont consider a D as passing. If I dont receive a C in your class that means that I wont have the 12 credits to be able to compete. If there is any way or if there is anything you can do or I can do, can you please tell me how I can make it happen? I would most gladly appreciate it Dr. M(mmm) if you could possibly find a way to fix my grade. Thank you for your time. Hopefully its not to late.
09 May 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Interesting plea...I can see having empathy for the student, yet responsibility weighs heavily in my mind. Was the student this conscientious enough during the semester about the grades earned? My first thought, after reading the letter, no. They are only worried now after seeing the final grade and studying so hard for this test. I wonder if the the student tried as hard all semester.
It's easy to say this to others than to hold to it myself, but I think his very argument about the importance of the course works against him. If it was that essential to his life, he should have worked harder throughout the semester and not let everything ride on the final exam.
I agree with P/H. I'm always disturbed by students who panic right around or AFTER exams rather than before.
I would be very curious to see your reply to this student.
Oh, I hate e-mails like this. I completely agree with the comments above, that the student needed to think about this during the class, rather than after. And they earned the grade they earned. It would be one thing if they were absolutely borderline, which this student clearly isn't. Is there anyone who actually changes grades in circumstances like this?
Good question, NK! None that I can think of.
I don't quite understand why students send these emails, but they seem to reflect a real disconnection between thinking that the class is important (because you learn something, maybe something you'll need in the next class or elsewhere?) versus the grade being important though not as a reflection of evaluating what the student learned. Grades aren't perfect measures, of course, but they're what we use, and usually not really a surprise.
I had to explain that there is a big difference between 8 points and 8 percentage points. Plus, after curving all of the exams and offering extra credit, I can't do anything else without diminishing the integrity of the course.
I may have mentioned that I am in the unenviable position of teaching this course, which happens to be our one real weed-out course. 104 students failed to meet the required C for this to count as a prerequisite for the major.
Wow, 104 students got Ds and Fs? And it certainly sounds like you bent over backwards to give them opportunities. Oy.
Post a Comment