25 January 2005

i can't stop myself

more future dictionary entries:

puritangential adj. a form of argument used to obfuscate an important issue by diverting attention to an irrelevant one.

pulling a Lieberman v. [slang] to covertly run for office on the opposition ticket.

finally, the word I've been looking for for over a decade:

yidg n. one's romantic pair; older than a boy/girlfriend, less businesslike than a partner, more fun than a spouse, less gooey than a lover. Don't even mention "significant other."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yidg"? I love it! I don't get it, but I love it!

Is there a joke I'm missing about "yidg"? Do the letters stand for something sociological (like "yuppie" for young urban professional)?

jo(e) said...

Oh, I like yidg. I too have problems with what to call my yidg. It would be nice to have a term that didn't announce gender or sexual orientation. Partner sounds too much like someone who works in a law form. Lover sounds too illicit. "Yesterday my yidg and I went to the movies." That could work.

Mel said...

so which is silent, the "g" or the "d"?

Michael LeVan said...

I think it rhymes with "bridge."

Cheeky Prof said...

LOL I love all of these but my favorite is pulling a Lieberman.