24 January 2005

serendipitus populum

I love serendipitous connections among popular culture that arise unexpectedly through conversation. For example, jo(e) posted a comment to me in which she mentions Lucy from Peanuts, and a famous scene about dog germs. In hopes of finding a copy of the strip online somewhere, I do a search that lands me on one of those great quotes websites. There happen to be several quotes from Lucy Van Pelt (classic characters of American Literature??), including the following that gave me pause: "I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." Clearly, it seems to me, Charles Schultz was more than a simple cartoonist. This quote from Lucy is too close to the sentiments of the current president to be anything short of prophetic. I suspect that careful (no, meticulous) study of the panoply of Peanuts cartoons will reveal that Schultz is the American Nostradamus. Are we, the American public, the Charlie Brown to GWB/Lucy's snickering confidence game football-puller-away-er? Has anyone yet written Political Science According to Peanuts?

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

It's also suspicious that Condoleezza Rice and Lucy van Pelt have the exact same hairstyle. I'm just saying.

jo(e) said...

I would have voted for Lucy over W.

I don't think it's too far of a stretch for a cartoon character to run for office. We've had puppets in office for so long now.