19 January 2005

orion through the live oak

Urban living usually cuts me off from some of the simple joys of nature. The little, unexpected ways that nature asserts itself become these precious image-moments. As I had coaxed my thin-blooded dalmatian outside with a biscuit--to use the bathroom on a chilly night--I looked up, and saw framed in the moonlight, Orion through the live oak.

5 comments:

jo(e) said...

Beautiful image. I think you should be writing poetry.

I teach an urban nature literatrue course, and this is pretty much the assignement I gave yesterday. I told them to choose an urban nature image and write about it.

Michael LeVan said...

What kinds of things are written in amn Urban Nature Litaerature course? That sounds like a fascinating category. One of my TAs, btw, studies representations of nature, and is currently doing some sort of undercover ethnographic/journalistic research on a large Aquarium institution. And one of my colleagues does work on national parks. If it isn';t too much, i'd love a reading list (though I still think I'm not good with the qquick temporal aspect of blogs, and no one may ever see this post).

Michael LeVan said...

Sorry to write quickly in previous comment. There's no OCD in play when I try to rush things (ADD?). This, of course, is emabarassing, which only fuels the obsessiveness.

jo(e) said...

Hey, I'm just reading this now. Of course, I don't know whether or not you will scroll down to see if another comment has been added. It does seem on most blogs that comment threads end as soon as a new post appears. Weird.

Anyhow, in my urban nature lit class, we read an anthology called CITY WILDS, edited by Terrell Dixon, filled with stories and essays about urban nature. For example, there's a great story about a guy canoeing around Manhattan. We use a poetry book called URBAN NATURE. And a pop mystery book called BLANCHE CLEANS UP which is set in Boston. And a bunch of other stuff like the poetry of Audre Lorde and Sharon Olds. Maybe I'll start writing about this all on my blog.

Michael LeVan said...

Yes, jo(e), I'd love to hear more about this stuff on your blog. I have a colleague who teaches a course called Writing the City who would be interested in your course.

(I'm also unsure about the longevity of posts and comments). Just got back from the bottle show, where we met all sorts of interesting characters, several of whom agreed to be interviewed at their urban dig sites.