31 January 2005

to do list: make to do list

I wanted to be sure to get in one last post on my first month of being a blogger. I think it is helping me quite a bit. Though I haven't been doing much academic writing, the blog has the old writing desire finally starting to rekindle. All those old essays and half-completed ideas are starting to flow. Hooray!

Also, I hope this doesn't sound corny, but this little academic blogging community often feels more like a helpful, hopeful, fun, angry, loving, joking, working, supportive community than where I am in most of my other life.

I hoped to write a better entry than this, but I cut one of my typing fingers right on the typing part. I was digging a hole with my bare hand in the garden, so I guess I brought it on myself. I know, I know, to be so lucky to be in the garden in January probably doesn't get me much sympathy.


OK, so here's my to-do list of things to write about in upcoming blog entries:
a list of jobs I've had
my interest in anonymous public art
my relationship with all the ideas in my dissertation
an ocassional political column (or politics meets pop culture)
indie music I'd like to plug
movie reviews if I ever see a movie again (next one on the shelf is the 1986 documentary Sheman's March)
my service-learning class and their yellow bike project

From The Future Dictionary of America

hyperchondria n. the state of feeling physically sound; an experience of total, thorough well-being, in which one has no physical or psychological complaints; a condition in which one feels superhealthy or superfine; an overabundance of health; in extreme cases, hyperchondria may indicate delusion, but the person will not want to acknowledge the problem. [I wish this on most of us in the psychic meat grinder of academe, but especially to new kid, just tenured, lucyrain, and others just trying to get through each day]

[And this one I dedicate to bitch, phd (because it exhibits her moxie]:
horsecock 1. adj. unnecesarrily large, to the point of being vulgar and unseemly. Steve insisted on driving his horsecock SUV throughout the gas shortage. 2. v. classless overcompensation. To make sure he acquired the autographed flak jacket, Donald horsecocked his initial bid at the charity auction.

6 comments:

jo(e) said...

Hurray for blogs rekindling desire!

I want to hear about anonymous public art. (One of my students did a project on grafitti last year, tying it into hip hop.) And the yellow bike project too.

I love your definition of horsecock. I laughed aloud.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Thanks, dr. m! I wish hyperchondria to you, too.

And I agree that horsecock is a great term. I'm going to have to start using that one...

Michael LeVan said...

The only credit I can take is in selecting and sharing words from the Future Dictionary. Here's what it looks like.

I figure if I keep sharing definitions all year, eventually I and readers of this blog will read the whole book. It's sort of a fresh take on Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary.

Ocean said...

This is my first monthy also. I've found my need to write becoming more and more everyday. I've been staying away from some reall issues I want to talk about but I'm just warming up. Cheers! To blogging

bitchphd said...

Horsecock dedicated to moi?!? Why thank you so much.... hehehe.

Isn't the academic blog group great? I wish we were a real department. If I quit and start an independent school or some such, don't be surprised if I offer all y'all jobs.

Michael LeVan said...

I'd take that job.